The keyword here is… CAN – Technology CAN Enhance Learning

First off, I want to acknowledge that both sides did a fantastic job on this debate topic – Technology in the classroom enhances learning, agree or disagree. Being the first group to go is no easy task, and this group did a great job setting the bar high! It was interesting to see how the pre-vote and post-vote panned out, and I admit, I was sitting on the fence for this topic. I agree with Megan and Brittney that technology CAN enhance learning, but it does not always enhance learning without proper pedagogy. And on the flipside, technology can certainly get in the way of learning, just as Nicole R. and Daryl argued. It is imperative that teachers recognize the negative implications of technology use and are trained on proper use of technology in the classroom. 

Technology CAN Enhance Learning

When push comes to shove, I do agree, technology CAN enhance learning. Some of the arguments that resonated with me include:

• Technology Is The Future

Technology can enhance learning because students are becoming increasingly more tech savvy. They are using technology at home, at school and in many extra-curricular pursuits. Let’s face it, technology is everywhere and students need to learn how to use it in order to succeed in the future. Technology will drive a large portion of their lives at home, at work, and as their entertainment. Using it in a controlled classroom environment will afford students the opportunity to hone their skills safely and effectively. 

• Engaging Students

Technology engages students so students can learn at their own pace and using resources that fit their needs. Megan and Brittany shared the article by Emma Cullen talking about Technology Enhanced Learning (TEL) as any technology that enhances the learning experience. Today, this mostly refers to software and educational apps that teachers and families use to engage students in the learning process. I have witnessed several students respond positively to educational technology applications to increase literacy and numeracy skills, simply because they were engaged by the app. Not to mention several inquiry projects and projects to foster collaboration between students. I have seen students with low-needs to high-needs who require supports for conditions like apraxia, dyslexia and non-verbal students succeed when using technology supports.

• Tailored Resources

By incorporating technology wisely, educators are able to tailor learning to each individual student and thus, help them achieve their goals in a way that is meaningful to them. Technology also helps educators find resources and provide the best possible learning for their students. I have to admit, without technology, my job would look a lot different and I argue would be more difficult. The ease with which I can find resources online, communicate with families, and collaborate with my colleagues is a privilege. I can also provide tailored feedback to my students that they can share with their families. For example, I have now started using recorded feedback for student work through Seesaw. I love that my students can hear my voice and refer back to my feedback as needed. In addition, families can see and hear my feedback. Using recorded feedback, I can connect with my quiet students by providing them with discreet personalized feedback. My outgoing students have pushed their creative limits using technology and I am able to encourage them to try new skills. And finally, my students with behavioural needs have been able to open up in a low pressure environment. This was reiterated in the study by McKnight et. al. – Teaching in a Digital Age: How Educators Use Technology to Improve Student Learning where students with needs and shyer students had more frequent interactions with their teachers and peers using discussion boards and chats. Here, students are able to post their responses and reflections online. I see technology helping in many areas of the school from the library, to athletics, to the classroom. 

• Adaptations

Teachers know that every learner is unique and as such we make accommodations and adaptations for all learners. And just like our students who use glasses to see or hearing aids to hear, educational technology can help our students who need adaptations like: text-to-speech software, voice recognition software, spell check and visual search engines. As an example, I have a niece who uses a personal tablet with the program Proloquo to communicate. This has been life changing for her and her family. Prior to her using this app, she communicated using sign language. This was difficult, as the only people who could fully communicate with her in our family were her parents and her Grandma. Now that she uses the tablet, she is able to communicate with her younger siblings, extended family members, teachers and friends. Being able to communicate with ease has enabled her to grow as a learner. She has improved her academic skills and her behaviour has improved dramatically, as she is able to tell her family, caregivers and teachers what her needs are. 

The Negative Side of Technology

On the flipside, I want to acknowledge Nicole and Daryl’s debate side that technology does not enhance learning. As our debaters mentioned, technology hinders learning in several ways.

• Digital Distractions

I am guilty of it. You are likely guilty of it. Our students are guilty of it… becoming distracted while using technology. Our minds wander, we see an advertisement, we click on a link and go down the proverbial rabbit hole and bam – you’ve wasted time consuming content you’d rather not have. Students are no different. Without proper modelling, training and monitoring, students will get distracted while using technology apps. 

• Screen Time vs Green Time

In the study, “The Negative Effects of Technology for Students and Educators” by Amanda Strom, it is noted that according to the Canadian Sedentary Behaviour Guidelines, children should spend less than 2 hours a day watching a screened device, but students usually spend over that 2 hours and that is simply to complete schoolwork. Personally, I have seen students prefer screen time over getting outside and being active. The number of indoor recesses we had this year was high due to a very cold winter. The students would cheer at the announcement of an indoor recess! I get it, it can be cold outside, but my kiddos seemed to think they should be inside all winter. It was almost a guarantee that I would have one of my students ask me if they could use an iPad during the indoor recess. I aim to instill the idea that snow and the winter is awesome and we can get outside and have lots of fun. Given a small nudge, my kiddo’s loved spending time outdoors when we could. It’s all about a healthy balance. We all need physical activity!

Photo source: Pexels
  • Child Development

Children’s development and attention spans are negatively affected by technology use. Parents and educators need to limit screen time and social interactions. When incorporating screen time like videos, and video games, it is important for children to be engaged with. If you let your child watch television, watch a show with them and talk about it. If they play video games, play with them and have some fun – keep them engaged with another human being. Chances are, they will love it, and you will love the time spent together. 

• Mental Health Concerns

Mental health and well-being concerns have risen during the pandemic. Concerns include anxiety, depression, inability to cope with stressful situations and sadly, suicide. Thankfully, I feel these concerns are being talked about more openly, though the need for on-going supports and funding remains. 

Final Thoughts

As I mentioned at the beginning, I was very much on the fence for this topic. The main reason that I had to agree that technology enhances learning is my niece. Her life has certainly been enhanced being able to communicate with her loved ones and her teachers using her tablet. I do however believe that technology has a lot of negative impacts on learning. Teachers and parents are familiar with many of them.

Let me know what you think…

1. What is your main reason for agreeing or disagreeing with this topic?

2 thoughts on “The keyword here is… CAN – Technology CAN Enhance Learning

1. Great post Rae! You’ve done a great job pulling out important arguments on both sides of the debate. I’m in a very similar state as you, and constantly find myself on the fence of this topic. To me, as with most things, I think balance is the key. Being able to get the positive uses of technology without becoming over-reliant is important for students and teachers alike!

2. Okay, I have to say that I love your question at the end. I so appreciate it when blogs finish with a question, as it helps my brain focus!

The way that the prompt was written was a game-changer for me. Technology enhances learning. As you mentioned, I believe that technology CAN in fact enhance learning, when good pedagogical practices are at play. When we assume that using technology automatically enhances learning is a dangerous statement that we need to be aware of. Technology in the classroom used without a plan or curriculum connections is just checking off a box to check off the box. Technology and tools will always be changing, but good pedagogy won’t. Keeping that in mind is key.