The Temptation To Multitask

Watching Hamblin’s video “Single-tasking is the new multi-tasking” seemed like a test. I was hyper-aware of the temptation of multi-tasking stimuli nearby me. My phone. Email. News App. Apple TV remote. My drifting, wandering mind. After all, I do have a long to-do list to get done today. My 13 month old had his first sleepover at Grandma and Grandpa’s house last night, so my partner and I can work on homework today. I really need this to be a productive day. But still, there are so many distractions. My cat, for one, is certainly loving the fact that the baby is out of the house and she is trying very hard to get my attention while I work. 

Photo of my cat Lenny as I write this post.

I am embarrassed to admit this, but when the video ended, I looked at my tab bar and counted the number of tabs I had open…38. 38!! I had two other windows open with a single tab in them as well. Yikes. I can’t possibly be doing 38 things, and doing them well, all at the same time. But I am. Like I said, my Thursday to-do list is a mile-long:

1. Finish EC&I 833 presentation slides.
  2. Review EC&I 833 presentation talking points.
  3. EC&I 833 blog post #2.
  4. ECI&I 833 readings.
  5. EC&I 833 blog post #3.
  6. Read and comment on my peers’ posts.
  7. Tidy my house.
  8. Fold towels.
  9. Water the flowers.
  10. Make a grocery list.
  11. Get out for a walk.
  12. Facetime and check-in on my little guy. I hope he is keeping it cool in this heatwave!

With this long list ahead of me, I suppose I would say the internet is both a productivity tool and a never-ending pit of distractions, if you let it be. Currently, all 38 tabs open in my window pertain to EC&I833. So for me, right now, the internet is a productivity tool. I am utilizing the web to:

1. Research – I have articles, blogs, reports and papers open.
  2. Learn – I have watched videos that I will want to revisit again (how to pronounce heutagogy, how to embed links in my blog).
  3. Connect – I have URCourses and email open.
  4. Collaborate – I am working with my group through Microsoft Sharepoint (Powerpoint) and Google Docs on our presentation.
  5. Create – I am blogging.

*WINDOWS SHUTTING DOWN*

Me: “Ugh, you’re kidding me!?”

My partner: “What happened?”

Me: “My computer just shut off.”

My partner: “That sucks.”

Me: “…My tabs!!!”

I faintly recalled the “Your battery is running low.” message that popped up about 10 minutes ago. I was too busy working to get up and grab the charger. Now that my laptop battery died, I was forced to get up. I plugged in my laptop, booted it up and opened Chrome, all while worrying if I would be able to restore my browser and tabs. I clicked on the history tab and opened up the “42 tabs” option. Either my counting is off, or I opened more tabs since watching Hamblin. Voila! I had my articles, websites and links back, and some! Phew. 

This, I feel, is a good example of productivity tools actually making us more productive. In a matter of a few seconds, I just saved myself from having to go down the rabbit trail of opening documents, searching websites, and loading all of the information I need to get back to work. The internet and productivity suites allow us to connect, synthesize, and review information. My classmates Raquel, Kelly, Deidra and Allison did an awesome job presenting on this very topic. In their presentation, the group highlighted some of the advantages to using online productivity tools. The ability to collaborate and have seamless digital access is rooted in constructivist theory. Over the short duration of this class, I have come to understand the inextricable link between the course instruction and learning taking place. This course has roots in constructivism and connectivism. Each assignment and the tools we are using play an important role in our learning and in our construction of knowledge. The discord app, blog hub, and productivity suites like Microsoft and Google allow us to collaborate and communicate. After reading the required articles, engaging in class presentations and discussion, and watching the course videos, we blog and reflect on our learning. Then, we engage with the content once again by reading and commenting on classmates’ learning. We reflect again when reading the comments posted by our peers to our blogs. In doing all of this, we are taking a critical look at the information forming our knowledge. One’s knowledge is a web of interconnectedness that continues to grow and expand. Bates summarizes in Chapter 2 of Teaching in a Digital Age that:

“Knowledge is not just ‘stuff’, or fixed content, but it is dynamic. Knowledge is also not just ‘flow’. Content or ‘stuff’ does matter as well as the discussions or interpretations we have about content. Where does the ‘stuff’ come from that ebbs and flows over the discussions on the internet? It may not originate or end in the heads of individuals, but it certainly flows through them, where it is interpreted and transformed.”

Bates (2015)

As multi-tasking learners, we bounce around the web as our knowledge is formed. We open, utilize and store tabs with information for immediate processing, or keep them open to be revisited later. This allows us to be productive learners.  I would argue that the internet has afforded us the ability to be more productive learners than we were in the past. However, it can send you down a rabbit hole if you let it (hyperlinks, videos, related content just to name a few).

Source: https://www.peakpx.com/en/hd-wallpaper-desktop-kozii

Our society looks at being productive as getting work done, but am I being productive if I go to the playground with my son? Cuddle with my cat? I would argue yes. What do you think? We need those moments in our lives to ground ourselves in the present. To reduce stress. To enjoy moments before they pass. To take a break from our to-do lists. 

*FaceTime Video* – I miss my munchkin. He misses me. 

Let’s face it. It’s 2021 – multitasking is what we do. We have never-ending lists with things that need to be done. In order to be “productive,” I write lists and check items off. I enjoy seeing my list getting smaller. There is one piece of advice that came from a former supervisor that has always stuck with me. If you have a task that will take less than 2 minutes, do it right now. I do try to stick to this. Especially now with a baby (turning into a toddler) tugging at my legs. Try to manage your time the best you can. Unplug for a bit. Put your phone in a different room. Have a dedicated workspace. Avoid the temptations around you. Schedule time to reduce stress. Good luck. What are some things you do to be productive? 

8 thoughts on “The Temptation To Multitask

1. Great post, Rae!
    Thanks for the laugh – I can sympathize with you about the computer shutting down and losing tabs. Sometimes I will go days, maybe even weeks without shutting mine down “just in case” I still need to use the same tabs.
    I very much agree with the way you framed “productivity” as it relates to personal/family time. I have tried to make a very conscious effort this past year to make firm time for those sorts of things ie taking my dog Rex for a walk every morning no matter how much work or homework I have to do. You framed that in a way that is good for most of us to hear over and over again until it becomes practice, so thanks for that!

1. Thank you, Chris!

I hope you are able to find some time to do those “other” productive things before school starts back up. I do agree with you that we need to hear it over and over again to make sure it becomes practice. We know what is necessary and good for us, but sometimes life gets going too fast for us to take the time for those things.

2. Rae, first of all congratulations on your babes first sleepover! I am the mom to a wonderful 6 and 5 year old and when they go to their grandparents I oscillate between the exhilarating feelings of freedom, and watching videos of them on loop! Parenting is one big paradox!

I thought your post was so beautifully written. You found a thread through the learning, the readings, the presentations and learning theories. I might be so bold to say you have your introduction to your summary of learning, the paragraph:

“Over the short duration of this class, I have come to understand the inextricable link between the course instruction and learning taking place. This course has roots in constructivism and connectivism. Each assignment and the tools we are using play an important role in our learning and in our construction of knowledge”.

That line and subsequent description of all the ways we are learning and connecting shows breadth and depth of knowledge of the content, and also the ways in which it informs the class and our future teaching.

Thank you for sharing, for centering my disjointed thoughts, and for the cat pictures. All were so amazing to interact with!

1. Hi Jacquie!

Oh my, you hit the nail on the head! It was a nice break from my little guy, but I was definitely missing him. I found myself, like you, scrolling through my phone and changing my phone wallpaper and background to a new picture of him. Too funny. Parenting is a journey alright!

I appreciate your comments on the learning theories and my connection to this course. I am always interested in how the instructors design and execute our classes, as they are trying to model teaching for us. My wheels are always spinning as to how I can incorporate and execute these ideas in my own practice.

3. Congrats on your babes first sleepover. I often think of all the things I would be able to accomplish if my little one went for a sleepover, and then I think my list would probably look like yours. Heck, I think I would make sure there was a little time by myself to watch a show that I want to watch without any input from the household, or even take a nap. What insanity that would feel like.

I appreciated your take on your post, and I laughed at the picture of your cat. Of course, when you finally have time to do something and have put all your focus into it, your computer is acting up, your cat wants attention, the grocery list needs to be made, etc. Life is always full of multi-tasking so I am not sure if the internet is solely to blame, although now I definitely think it contributes to getting more distracted. I also appreciate how you talked about making time for the things that you need to focus on. I think as a society that values productivity, this can be tricky but I think it’s super important.

Thanks for sharing and giving me a laugh!

1. Thanks, Kelly!

Your comments are always genuine and thoughtful. I hope you get some Momma R & R time to yourself this summer, before we head back into another school year.

4. Rae, I enjoyed reading your blog post! A couple of things you said resonated with me. The first being, “ am I being productive if I go to the park with my son?” I agree with you that this is an example of being productive. In a world where we are constantly on the go and trying to meet the needs of both work and family, we need those moments to enjoy ourselves. I love going to Rider games, and even if I have piles of correcting, and yard work to complete, this takes precedent because I need this break for me. The second is when you talked about how each assignment and tools we use play an important role in our learning. Like you, I often have numerous tabs open when I am working on a project and often feel like I get sidetracked. However, upon reflection, I realize that I am gaining knowledge through every tab and new ideas are sparked because I decided to view another website. All in all, I think we are always multitasking and everything we do whether it be for our mental health or to meet a deadline, is being productive. Thanks for reminding me of the importance of avoiding that rabbit hole!

1. Thanks, Arkin.

I applaud you for taking the time to go and do the things you feel are “productive,” like going to Rider games. I hope you are able to get away and enjoy some Rider games again real soon!